Saturday, November 8, 2014

New Finish




I've been hooking a table runner for quite a while and needed an (almost) instant gratification project, so I hooked this mat in the last few weeks.  It is one bird of a three chicken rug designed by Polly Minick.  I had never hooked a chicken before, so decided to simplify and to just do the "lonely" chicken.  Thought about making it a pillow, but instead,  hemmed the back of the rug in red wool 1 1/4" wide strips.  I love the way the background turned out.  The chicken wing looks a little blue in the picture, but it is a black and white tweed.  The rug measures 15 1/2" x 11" and is hooked in hand torn strips.

Mom has adjusted to the care facility very well and seems content to be there.  There are lots of activities for the residents,  and the staff is very good at making sure that they all get to the activities on a regular basis.  I really appreciate the job they do and that they seem to enjoy their work.  It makes a huge difference.  My sisters and I are planning to get together a couple of times a month to enjoy some "us" time.  We haven't done much of that in the past few years while taking care of Mom 24/7....it will be nice.

Hope you are enjoying the beautiful (but much too short) Autumn and that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I'm kinda getting in the mood for Christmas decorating....all the Christmas open houses in the area have done their job!  But FIRST, I need to do some major cleaning and organizing...esp. the wool room :0)

Have a great weekend!
Linda

2 comments:

  1. Linda ~
    What a fun chicken. That is perfect chicken wool. Sometimes we need that instant gratification.
    I'm happy to hear your mom is adjusting. That is so hard.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Linda - I agree with Lauren - the perfect wool for your chicken - looks just like feathers! Great idea to hook just one bird instead of the three in the original design - and I love the background - it's my favorite kind! Glad to hear your mom is doing well. My parents are both still in great health - both physically & mentally - which is why I'm trying to visit more often lately. So good to see your post!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!