Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I Survived!

I'm back from my 3 days of babysitting...a little frazzled, but otherwise none the worse for wear! There is nothing like being around preschoolers to remind you of how many decades have passed since you were a young mother, yourself!! I've also noticed how families have changed over the years. When my children were young, conversations could actually be had and one could really think about something for more than 2 or 3 minutes at a stretch! What has happened to attention spans?? I'm a talk radio fan, but about an hour of sitting with my left ear plastered to the radio and my hand over my right ear, I gave up!! I did, however, get to watch "Max & Ruby" (cartoons about brother and sister bunnies) several times and 3 "Baby Einstein" DVDs! At least the music on them was good (Mozart & Bach)!! At one point, I was carrying a crying baby, clearing up supper taco dishes, listening to a 5 & 3 yr. old sing a duet, and scrubbing spilled taco stuff off white carpet...all at the same time! Good practice for multi-tasking, I guess. My son and DIL arrived home with gifts from the beach for the girls and they were all so happy and excited and hugging...a good ending to my 3 days away from home! Next week, I start my 4 day weeks babysitting when Ashley goes back to teaching. Am I really ready for this?!?!

The above pillow is one that a hooked a couple of years ago. As I have said before, candy corn is a favorite fall motif, and this 6" x 8" pillow turned out great. The colors are much more muted than this picture depicts. For some reason, the orange looks very bright in the picture, but in person is much more primitive. I did do a tiny bit of hooking (or as Olivia and Allison referred to it as "sewing") while away, and I hope to have a progress picture within the next few days of the large cat rug that I began a few months ago. I've also started another project that I will share soon. The rug that I hooked from the small cat design that I posted a couple of weeks ago as a free pattern has been finished into another pillow, and has begun to grow on me. I have decided that I like it and still want to hook another version in different colors.

I hope you all are enjoying the same beautiful weather that we are having. This summer has been great! I think we have only had two days that were in the low 90s...HIGHLY unusual for central Illinois!! Hope you all are having a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Make sure you take some time off to rest up. Our kids are teens now and those days you just described seem like eons ago. I certainly don't miss the hectic days. Your pillow looks great. Take care.
    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Melissa & April! Thanks! I hope to be back to normal soon. My back is the worst--not used to carrying 18+ pounds around all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda ~ Such a sweet candy corn pillow ~ not showing up very bright on my monitor at all. I'm anxious to see the progress on your cat rug.
    It has been unseasonably cool in northern Ohio, too. Today's paper said it was one of the coolest on record. Okay by me since my central air is not working and it's so old and barely cooled the upstairs anyway, I've decided not to have it serviced.
    Relax and take a deep breath before school starts!
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed commenting on the lovely wreath from the previous post - I think we are all ready for fall this year or at least in the deep south! Children - humphf - I'm sure they are challenging - that's why I never had any - I think if you don't really really want them you should not have them. I'm not a child hater but just prefer they live at someone's house! Love the candy corn piece - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lauren! Thanks! I hope to have an "in progress" picture up soon. I want to get a little more done first. I start watching the kids next Monday while Ashley gets her classroom all ready for the year. So soon?! :0)

    Hi, Mel! Thanks for kind words about the wreath! I agree that children can be a challenge, but they are very sweet and cute, so I can put up with a little challenge! I agree that those who are not 100% sure that they are ready for them should not have children. It's not fair to the children, and the world is difficult enough without adding to the stress. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!