Sunday, May 31, 2009

Prim Speak!!

Can you imagine how time consuming it was for printers of yesterday to use these wooden letters to print newspapers, etc? I can't!! These letters are now great primitive antiques. I have collected them for a while, but they have become increasingly difficult to find. Also, they have risen in price from around 50 cents to $4 - $6. I love to mix the styles of print and and different sizes to create really prim looking words and phrases. "Ks" are the hardest to find, in my experience. My collection has grown and I now have enough to spell "Christmas", "Ho Ho Ho", "Hooked Rugs" (twice), "Woolens" and "Boo"! I'm sure I could come up with a few more words as well.
In recent years, a large importer has taken the antique printer's letters and turned them into a very lucrative tool with which to generate sales! She is "capitalizing" on these letters. (Sorry about the horrible pun...I couldn't resist!!)
Today was perfect! I sat outside in the shade with a glass of iced tea (sweet) and read. It was great. Have a wonderful week!

5 comments:

  1. I love your collection of letters Linda..I would love to find some myself. Do you have a printers tray as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letters are wonderful- I love your "woolen" display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a printer's tray years ago, but sold it in a previous effort to "simplify" my collections!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happened to me too! LOL! I keep wondering why, as I am trying to simplify, I have this incredible urge to collect more..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    I had a printer's tray, too. I either sold it at a garage sale or it's buried in the attic. I have my name in letters, but now I'll be searching for more. You've inspired me. Thanks!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!